Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Slow-mo Moment

I was taking my dogs for their morning walk today when I had one of those slow motion moments. You know the kind. Something happens and everything slows down, your voice, your movements, your reaction time. It was something like that.

When i take the dogs out I like to have music, but I cannot stand to wear ear-buds. So I just turn my phone  up, loud enough to hear but not disturb those around me, and toss it in my sweatshirt hood. It usually works great. I did that today, and 45 minutes into the walk all was fine, until I had to be a responsible pet owner. Lucky, my wonderful Boxer, decided he had to poo. So, I waited and with doggie bag in hand proceeded to clean up. That's when it happened. Can you guess what happened next? I'll give you a hint: gravity. Oh, Gravity, thou art a heartless jerk. As I bent down, my phone rocketed out of my hood, over my head and down my arm to the smelly pile on the ground. Everything slowed.
"NO," I screamed. I jerked my body up, trying to catch the device. It was no use. My hands fumbled towards the phone and all I could do was watch. It must have been the longest 5 seconds of my life. I couldn't move, at least I don't remember moving. I closed my eyes.  And then "doink". I looked down and my phone missed what would've been a disaster by about half and inch.

I sighed heavily, put my phone in a safe pocket and went about my business. We finished our walk and the rest of the album. It was "Some Nights" by Fun. Whew!

No comments: